A mung chilla -an Indian version of pancake or crepe is a popular breakfast (though I generally recommend having it for lunch or dinner) option in Indian homes. Mung chillas are high in protein and quick and easy to make. There are several recipes, but this is my favourite!
* 1 cup mung dal (soaked overnight or for at least 3-6 hours)
* 1 chilli
* 1-inch ginger
* 1 tsp cumin / jeera
* ¼ tsp turmeric
* 2 tbsp coriander
* pinch hing / asafoetida
* ½ tsp salt
* 3 tbsp water
* oil or ghee for roasting
- Firstly, in a large bowl soak 1 cup mung dal overnight or for at least 3-6 hours.
Drain off the water and transfer to the blender.
Also add 1 chilli, 1-inch ginger and 1 tsp cumin.
Blend to smooth paste, adding water if required.
Transfer the batter to the bowl.
Add ¼ tsp turmeric, 2 tbsp coriander, pinch hing and ½ tsp salt.
Mix well adding 3 tbsp of water forming thick flowing consistency chilla batter.
Further, pour a ladleful of batter onto a hot pan and spread gently.
- Cover and allow cooking on a medium flame for a minute.
- Now flip the chilla and cook both sides pressing gently.
- Finally, mung dal chilla is ready to serve with green chutney.