According to Ayurveda, any food that transforms quickly into Ojas is good for immunity. Ojas is the end product of complete digestion that creates strong immunity, radiant complexion and vitality. Ways to boost immunity include having easy to digest foods, choosing foods for our unique body type and season and cooking with immunity-boosting spices.
My favourite immunity-boosting foods include white tea, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, amla berries and pomegranate. These foods are high in antioxidants and the spices help unclog blocked channels in the body which prevents ama (digestive impurities) to build up. Keeping the body clear from toxins is one of the best ways to strengthen our immunity.
Here is a spice mixture for enhancing immunity It should be used regularly to boost immunity and enhance digestion. From The Answer to Cancer by Hari Sharma, M.D. and James Meade, PhD
Immunity-Boosting Spice Blend
- 6 parts turmeric
- 3 parts cumin
- 3 parts coriander
- 6 parts fennel
- 1 part powdered dry ginger
- 1 part black pepper
- ¼ part ground cinnamon
- Roast, or dry-fry, whole cumin, coriander, fennel and black pepper and then grind the mixture into a powder. Add turmeric, ginger and cinnamon.
- Mix all the powdered spices well and store in an airtight container in a cool place away from direct sunlight.
- For daily use, sauté one teaspoon of ghee, heating until you smell the aroma. Immediately remove the pan from the heat to avoid burning the spices.
- Sauté the spices in ghee and sprinkle or drizzle on vegetables, rice or other grains, or cook them in vegetables like a soup, add to steamed vegetables to the spice Or sprinkle them on your food if you eat your noon meal out.
Did you like this? Sign up we'll send you more awesome posts like this every week!